The research will generate new knowledge on how SWSLHD-based people who experience difficulties associated with alcohol consumption:
1. experience and give meaning to their consumption;
2. view, and make decisions about accessing, treatment for alcohol dependence in SWSLHD; and
3. manage and respond to concurrent alcohol dependence and other health conditions.
This knowledge will then be used to add a new dedicated alcohol module to a successful Australian internet resource on experiences of addiction, dependence or drug habit: Livesofsubstance.org. The new module will:
• Present individual experiences of alcohol dependence, treatment and recovery, described by those directly affected in their own words;
• Better support those experiencing difficulties associated with their alcohol consumption;
• Improve public and professional understanding of alcohol dependence issues and the range of treatment experiences and views on recovery;
• Contribute to the knowledge base for informed public debate and policy.