In 2004 the Northern Territory Government Department of Health and Community Services convened a Forum to ‘… identify treatment priorities in alcohol and other drug services across the Northern Territory 2004–2005’. The Forum brought together 20 representatives from 17 non-government agencies and 24 representatives from NT government agencies involved in the delivery of AOD treatment services. Dennis Gray from the National Drug Research Institute was contracted to facilitate the Forum and to provide a detailed report on it.
In summary, the top ranked priorities identified by Forum participants were:
• improved coordination and collaboration between government and non-government agencies;
• workforce development – including Aboriginal employment opportunities;
• addressing community development issues and the social and structural determinants of substance misuse;
• provision of adequate funding and longer funding cycles that would facilitate longer term planning;
• provision of after-care services;
• collaborative case management of AOD clients;
• more youth programs; and
• more health promotion and health education.