Webinar on kava use
The Australian Indigenous HealthInfonet Alcohol and Other Drugs Knowledge Centre is hosting a free webinar on Tuesday 25 June with NDRI's Dr Julia Butt. In this webinar, Dr Butt will discuss kava in Australia, including:
- an overview of kava and how it is traditionally used in the Pacific as well as in Australia
- a brief discussion on the effects of kava on individual and community level health
- an overview of the research regarding the use of kava in Aboriginal communities and its effects
- a discussion of the policy challenges associated with managing kava
Dr Butt is a Senior Research Fellow at NDRI and a practicing clinical psychologist. Dr Butt has worked in First Nations drug and alcohol research and clinical practice for the past 15 years, focussing on community driven research. She undertook a review of kava use in Australia for the Federal Government in 2011 and recently completed a kava review for the Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet.
The webinar will run for approximately 30-60 minutes, and is free to attend. No additional software is required to join the webinar, other than a stable internet connection. It is recommended that you use Google Chrome to view the webinar.
The webinar will be held on Tuesday 25 June at:
- 12:00 pm (NSW, Qld Vic, Tas and ACT)
- 11:30 am (SA and NT)
- 10:00 am (WA)
Access the webinar here
Please note that this webinar will be recorded, and made available on the Knowledge Centre website at a later date.
For further information please contact:
Senior Research Officer
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
Ph: (08) 6304 6276
Posted on: 10 Jun 2019